What Happens During Service?
How long is it?
What’s Up with the Hand Raising?
We start with worship – typically have a mix of contemporary songs and traditional hymns. Don’t worry about knowing the songs, we provide the lyrics so you can sing along, and of course you don’t have to! But our talented worship teams, music and energy are contagious, so you might find yourself tapping your feet and singing along pretty quickly! After worship, we’ll make a few announcements to let you know about events coming up and opportunities to serve our community, and we will take an offering. One of our pastors will teach for about 30 minutes. Before and after the service, we hope you’ll stop by our bookstore, help yourself to a complimentary cup of coffee or ask for prayer from one of our prayer team, if needed. From start to finish, the total service time is about an hour and fifteen minutes.
I heard that people raise their hands in service – what’s with that? Yes, the rumors are (somewhat) true! However, we do not believe that God is a God of fear or confusion, so you will not see people doing anything that does not bring glory to God and light to others. We do not believe in being weird “just because” and we want to be welcoming to everyone, whether you just hum along in worship or want to raise your hands high. How you worship God is up to you, but we encourage everyone in our services to mindful of those around them and respectful of other people’s comfort levels.
What Denomination Is Westside Church
We are a Foursquare Church. The call of the Foursquare Church is to preach Jesus Christ as the Savior, Baptizer with the Holy Spirit, Healer and Soon-Coming King.
What Will My Kids Do?
Your kids will have a great time! At all of our campuses, we work hard to create engaging, fun experiences that give kids great, Biblical teaching and memorable interactions. For parents, it’s a great time to focus on the service and know that your kids are not only having a blast, they are learning and growing in their faith! Every campus is set up a little differently, but for the West Campus, it’s easiest if you park in the West parking lot and use the Family entrance. Our AMAZING volunteers and staff in the kids programs are always available to answer questions, help with concerns and give personal care to your child, so don’t hesitate to ask! If you prefer to talk to someone prior to visiting, contact us and we can make sure you and your kids know what to expect.
How big is your church?
At the West Campus (our largest location) we have about 1600 people who come through our doors during the weekend and a total church body of about 3000. Our other campuses have smaller services. We have multiple locations across Central Oregon (two campuses in Bend, one in Sisters and Online) and we want you to find the service and campus that’s right for you. We value community and hospitality, and we want you to come, have a cup of coffee and get to know our church family!
Can I Come If
I’m a single parent?
I have tattoos?
I was in prison?
I’m not sure if I believe in God.
Will I be welcome at your church?
Of course you are welcome! No one is perfect, and we all have sin, pain and doubts in our lives. We won’t water down the truth of God’s word or what He expects of His people, so you might encounter some challenging truths in our services. However, we know that Jesus came to save every single one of us, and we want to see Him move in all of our hearts and lives, no matter where we’ve been in the past or what challenges are in our lives today.
What Is The History Of Westside Church?
Our church started in 1954 as Bend Foursquare Church, located on NW 14th Street. Church attendance grew slowly but steadily until the facilities became a complex of small buildings that covered almost a square block! Ken Johnson and his wife Linda became our lead pastors in 1986. In 1989, we changed our name to Westside Church. We moved to our present West Campus location on Shevlin Park Road in 1990. In 1994, we outgrew two Sunday morning services, so we started a Saturday night service. We continued to grow, and introduced new classes, new facilities and new youth and children’s programs through the years. In 2013, Pastor Ken retired and Pastor Steve and Suzanne Mickel began as our lead pastors. God has been faithful to us and we are grateful for His love and leading in our church.
Here’s the timeline:
- 1954 – Birth of Bend Foursquare Church
- 1970 – Howard and Velma Heimbuch pastor Bend Foursquare (1970 – 1980)
- 1982 – Cliff and Mary Hanes pastor Bend Foursquare • 1986 – Ken and Linda Johnson pastor Bend Foursquare
- 1989 – Name changed to Westside Church, Heirborne radio broadcast began
- 1990 – Moved to new building on Shevlin Park Road
- 1994 – Saturday service began
- 1997 – Discovery Classes introduced
- 2000 – Completed Oneighty Youth Center
- 2001 – Completed Family Room and TruthTown expansion
- 2003 – Adopt-A-Block program began, Dream Center is purchased, first year of Cascade Master’s Community is celebrated
- 2006 – Celebrated Ken & Linda Johnson’s 20th year of being pastors of Westside Church
- 2007 – Began Growing Better Heart 1st Building Initiative
- 2010 – Launched South Campus, Began construction of new atrium
- 2012 – Completed construction of atrium; began two services at South Campus
- 2013 – Pastor Ken Johnson retired and Pastor Steve Mickel became lead pastor
- 2013 – Westsidelive.org, our online campus is launched
- 2013 – Westside Sisters Campus opened as a multisite of Westside Church
- 2014 – Westside Sisters Campus moved to two services
- 2015 – We launch our new clean and compelling Westside Church logo
FAQ’s – So You Have A Few Questions?
That’s great! We hope we can answer them for you. If you can’t find the answer below, send us an email and we will do our best to get you the information you need.